Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuneskeez

I just realized how ranty and preachy my blog is getting. I'm ashamed of myself a little.

Only a little. It will still probably be pretty ranty and preachy, I just need to do less ranting and preaching and a little more "check this cool stuff out!"-y. Yes. Yes, I think that will do rather nicely.

Been listening to a lot of remixed, reproduced, or drum-covered music lately. Like, a lot of it. Right now my entire playlist is made up of Remixes, Drum Covers, and music by Hollywood Undead (Their slightly less angry stuff). Most of the music I've found is thanks to YouTube, where I've stumbled across some pretty damn good musicians that I want to share with you.

The first one is Tyler Ward, a rather clean and family friendly dude with a pretty good voice and a great sense of humor who doesn't just cover music, but puts his own little spin on it. My favorite song of his probably is his cover of Black & Yellow (I hate the original), with a close second being the cover of Can't Handle Me (With drums by Cobus Potgieter). You got to respect his ability to take what he does and flex it into just about anything, and the videos look pretty damn professional too.

Next up is James Jeffreys, a former session drummer turned producer who can mix like kuh-razy! He plays drums, keyboard, and the guitar (and that's just what I know about!). He does a pretty epic cover of Love The Way You Lie that just really pounds the feeling home, and I really get a kick  out of it. He also did a pretty sick cover of Timbaland's Carry Out that gets stuck in my head when I hear it, which is impressive. He does a great job of crossing genres, taking music I'm not a huge fan of and making me hit the repeat button.

And last but not least, I mentioned drummer Cobus Potgieter earlier, but didn't tell you much about him. He's a self-taught drummer from South Africa who is just. plain. NUTS. I never thought somebody could make me like the song Fireflies, but he taught me that if Owl City had a semi-competent drummer (and a lyricist who didn't write like he'd been snorting rainbows) I could actually tolerate them. Not that there's anything genuinely wrong with Owl City, they're just not my cup of tea, savvy? But yeah, also check out his take on Mystery of You by Red, that one's pretty catchy, too.

As you can tell, I love music where you take something and put your own spin to it. The mixing of Hip Hop beats with Rock instrumentals and mixed vocals is just something I stand in awe of that never ceases to get my foot tapping. It shows me just how creative some musicians can be, instead of just churning out what they think people will buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment